Saturday, May 11, 2013

When riding the train

Many of us spend a good part of the day traveling via public transportation. I'm not a commuter myself but I am currently riding the train on my way to Grand Central. Travel by train is incredibly safe, much more so than by car. Same goes for buses and airplanes. This being said, when things goes awry on these types of transport, it can be disastrous. So heres few tips for traveling via train. These are easily applied to bus and air travel as well.


First things first, choose your seat. (Whenever possible) I prefer to choose the seats at the ends of the train when the train is a bit empty. Gives me four seats to spread out a bit, and usually a power outlet. Another big advantage to these seats is also the close proximity to the doors and your choice on direction to face. Being near the door is a no brainer, but the direction you're facing in the event of a crash can minimize injury. Facing backwards limits the likelihood of being thrown from your seat. Admittedly it would be of little help in a derailment, but I feel it can't hurt. 



Next know your exits. Make sure you have two exits in mind at all times. Count the number of seats to each, so you can reach them in the dark. (You should have flashlight on you, I carry a penlight in my pocket at all times) If you aren't seated by the doors I recommend sitting in an emergency exit row. Even when seated in this row, be sure to memorize the route to the nearest exit on the opposite side of the train. If the train becomes derailed it is very likely that your car will be on its side when it comes to a stop. Read the directions on how to operate the emergency exit a couple times so you don't have to do so under duress. Take note of where emergency tools are located as well. On my train there's an emergency pry bar above the exit closest to me and the emergency door controls are to my left.



The more likely emergency that you will encounter would be something like a fire. This is unlikely to be a real emergency as the car you're on catching fire is near impossible. A diesel locomotive can catch fire, but there are many redundancies to keep that fire from spreading to the passenger cars. In this scenario, passengers panicking is probably the bigger danger. All you can do is pay attention and keep calm. I also like to keep all my stuff together in my bag so I'm not scrambling if they evacuate the train. 

These scenarios are highly unlikely, but don't be complacent! Being aware of your surroundings becomes second nature very quickly, and takes no time at all. Those few moments of looking around while choosing your seat could save your life.



-Update, 5/18

Thankfully no one was killed, but yesterday at 6:10 pm there was a derailment on a Metro North train in Connecticut. About 60 people were injured, 5 critically, when a New Haven-bound commuter train derailed and struck a Manhattan bound train on the track beside it. It is unclear as of yet what caused the derailment.

Read more at NY Daily News




Photo courtesy of NY Daily News.

No comments:

Post a Comment