Monday, August 13, 2012

Solar Battery Backup


This is a quick review of a solar powered backup battery I picked up. I wanted one of these so I could charge my iPod and phone while out on the trail. I got this one on Amazon for under 30 dollars. The reviews were mixed, but I figured for the price it was worth a shot. The specs are 3 hours to charge with the wall outlet, 5 hours via USB, and 6 hours will give a 50% charge in full sun. From what the manual says you can't get above a 50% charge with sunlight, but the solar aspect is more for topping off.

First impressions are as mixed as the reviews. The solar panel looks very well made, sturdy and scratch resistant. The rest on the other hand, not so much. It has the feel of one of those iPod knock offs you win at the boardwalk. But hey, it was only 30 bucks. It also has a state of charge indicator on the back and an led on a flexible stalk. I'm sure I will get of use out of the light.



For the first charge they recommend a full charge via wall outlet. So three hours later I gave it a try, it charges my iPod, success so far. Over the next few days I topped off my devices, and did two full charges on my phone. (had to recharge the backup twice) So far it delivers as advertised. I would probably get about ten full charges on my iPod Nano, and one and a half on my Droid with one full charge on the backup. This is going to be really great for battery sucking train rides to the city. I did attempt to charge an ipad, no luck there. It sucked the backup down to zero and barely reached 5% charged.



Today, with the backup totally dead, I left it in the sun from 9 am to around 2:30. As promised, it charged to 50%. Another hour later it was still there, so 50% does seem to be the max for solar charging. Not ideal, but it would certainly be enough to keep a phone running, and more than enough for an iPod. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. The downfall will certainly be durability. I really don't think this thing would survive even a mild drop. But for the price I can't complain. It will be perfect for commuting and for camping.

1 comment:

  1. Solar battery chargers are a trending technology right now. Even my officemates have started using these in case they need to charge their gadgets outside of the office or their homes. Truly, solar battery chargers are the perfect technology for individuals who prefer solar energy transportable commodities.

    Lakendra Wiltse

    ReplyDelete