Sunday, January 22, 2012

Survival Eyewear

So I must admit that for the last several months I have been down to one pair of glasses. This is really against what preparedness is all about. So for my birthday a friend got me a pair of Wiley X PT-3 sunglasses. These glasses feature removable lenses that can be swapped out for clear or amber lenses. In addition to that, I ordered a prescription insert that clips above the nosepiece behind the safety rated lens. 


Overall a pretty rugged design, they are comfortable as well as functional. They ride a little higher than I'm used to from a pair of sunglasses, but when I sighted down my rifle I figured out why. The spacing below the lenses provide clearance for a good cheek weld on a buttstock. So I know that they will be great at the range, and that space reduces fogging as well while hiking or during any other physical activity. I am very much looking forward to wearing a darkened lens again, as I have gone without contacts for awhile and don't have dark prescription glasses. I'm hoping they will be good on the motorcycle as well, unfortunately it's been a bit cold to try it out. I did stick my head out the window while driving last night and the results seem promising.


My only complaint would be that it's kind of a pain to swap out the lenses, and it cannot be done quickly. For the most part I will probably be using the amber lenses in a day to day sense, so it will only be a minor annoyance. In a survival situation it would be strictly clear lenses I'm sure. While I was at it I figured I should probably have another backup, so I ordered an emergency backup pair of regular eyeglasses as well. Went to Greateyeglasses.com and got a decent pair for under 20 bucks delivered. You can't beat that, especially since they didn't even call to verify my prescription.

No comments:

Post a Comment