Sunday, August 16, 2009

The reason I started this blog.

My name is Adam, and I worry entirely too much about zombies and/or nuclear apocalypse.

In all seriousness, not so much the zombies, but its fun to talk about.

I started this blog when one day, I realized that a Google search for "Apocalypse Survival" just brought up a lot of websites of people selling me books. Mostly, I would like to be prepared for any and all possibilities. For example, our economy in the shitter leading us towards civil unrest. North Korea doing god knows what next. And wouldn't you know it- now I'm starting to worry about the damn Russians again. It does seem nowadays that the slightest little thing could set off a chain of events that would throw us right back into the dark ages. So I'm doing my best to prepare.

This is my first attempt at this kind of thing, and I hope to stick with it. I should let everyone know that I am in no way an expert on anything. I am a mechanic for Toyota, a "gun enthusiast" and enjoy hiking and camping. What I hope to accomplish with this blog is to simply pass on my opinions and everything I've learned. I think that the average person would be a whole lot better off if they were just a little more prepared for the worst.

First and foremost is to simply have a plan. (Yes, I stole that from certain show on The Discovery Channel, but it still rings true) Having a plan inspires confidence, and the more you modify it the better. Think about your environment, what you might encounter if all infrastructure, and all laws that go along with it, disappeared overnight. Do you know how to purify water? Start a fire without matches? Just learning a few very basic skills could mean the difference between being a survivor, and a statistic.

This Blog will have various topics, broken down as best I can, on what you can do to improve your odds. I'm sure there will be quite a bit of social commentary thrown in there as well. Whether right or wrong I will outline what I've done to prepare, and the skills I think everyone should have. My next post will outline my gear, and why I chose it, as well as a few things I haven't had the cash to pick up yet. After that who knows, Ive got a whole bunch of stuff my girlfriend is sick of hearing about, so I guess the sky's the limit.

I'm looking forward to writing this and can't wait to get some feedback.

Remember: Fritos are not only delicious, but make great tinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment